Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, 9 July 2007

Decorating on Hold...

Moving house is such a royal pain, specially here in the UK where labour is so expensive for these kinds of tasks. This country is more of DIY land, which we are very bad at. When we moved from Wales about two years ago, Calculus and I did all the moving in our two cars. Since we owned our house in Cardiff, we had the flexibility to do it at our own pace and not rush things. It was quite an ordeal, even though we did not move any of our furniture. It was also tough deciding what to keep and what to give away, because we were moving from a four bedroom house to a one bedroom flat in London....

Since then, we have moved twice in the last two years. The last move was the best, in my opinion, as I did not have to do a thing.. I was heavily pregnant at the time and so my contribution to the move was minimal, if any at all. Calculus was a real darling and did all the moving and unpacking, with some external help. I have never felt settled in this place and have always considered it to be a temporary arrangement because we want to buy a place of our own. But buying a property in London is proving to be so difficult. We have got so used to having space now, specially after Wales, so every house that we look at (within our budget) is small.. Finding a house that we like is proving to be an uphill task and in the meanwhile my decorating is on hold. I have not put up any decorations in our flat as yet because I think I will do it properly when we move into our own place. All our photographs, photo frames, wooden figurines, lovely ethnic cushion covers are all stashed away.. its almost as if life is on hold..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have only six words for you - Hyde Park, Hyde Park, Hyde Park....

Anonymous said...

I HAVE moved and still got hundreds of things in boxes.