Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, 10 September 2007

Cambridge visit, expectations..

It is so hard not to have expectations for one’s own child. Before I was a mother, I always determined that I would not have any expectations for my child. I grew up in a household where my parents let us do our own thing and did not pressurise us to have a career or study a professional course. This was a big deal, specially because we lived in a township where there was incredible peer pressure. In our colony, if you were not a doctor, engineer or a lawyer, you were a nobody. A commerce degree was bad, but God forbid, you did an arts course – you might as well just move away from the colony, as you would be ostracized!! Maybe I exaggerate a bit, but I am not joking when I say that an arts degree was really looked down upon. There were hierarchies of importance within the coveted professional categories too – so for instance a degree from a government college was held in much more esteem than say a private college degree. Parents were constantly pushing their children to perform – I remember many friends of mine had deadlines on when they had to return home in the evenings – to study and were admonished if they came second in class or lost out on a single mark in say mathematics. Me and my siblings never had any of these constraints. In fact, my full-time working mother secretly hoped that my sister and I would join a non-professional degree, join a bank or the public sector, get married and well, you get the picture. My mother was quite excited when my sister announced that she wanted to do an arts degree, when she was 15. My mother’s colleagues thought that my mother was nuts to not push her daughter to study and thought that the fate which awaited her after an arts degree was voluntary suicide. So when my sister changed her mind at the nth moment and decided to become a doctor, she was quite disappointed !!

Yet when we visited Cambridge over the weekend, I could not help but think how lovely it would be if my daughter studied there. There I said it. I have already set an expectation in my head for her to do well, even before she has started school or for that matter, started speaking. Calculus is actually worse than me. He was saying that she should do her PhD from Cambridge when we visited the city last time, when I was pregnant !!! That he would be happy with whatever she does, as long as she has a PhD in Mathematics from Cambridge !! Beat that for expectation ! How wonderful it would be if she attended one of the world’s oldest universities, studied in the same college as one of India’s brightest mathematicians – Ramanujan. I know that there are hundreds of other famous alumni of Cambridge, but this name is fresh in my memory as I have recently finished reading ‘The Man who knew Infinity’.

Our visit to Cambridge was brilliant. I love the city – its cobbled streets steeped in history, its grandiose buildings and just the feeling of being in the precinct of such a great institution of knowledge. We went this time, mainly for the benefit of my parents. My parents loved the place – since my mother has also recently finished reading Ramanujan, she was reliving the events from the book where he mentions Cambridge. We could not help but ponder over how difficult his life must have been all those years ago in this strange land. Obviously my mother being my mother, her primary concern was how Ramanujan managed with food, being a vegetarian !!

The weather was brilliant too – warm, yet not too warm. We went to as many of the tourist destinations as we could manage to go with a baby – Kings College, Trinity College, Trinity Street, walked along the River Cam. The last time we visited the city, I was heavily pregnant and was hobbling along, but at least my daughter was quiet. This time along, I could walk more easily yet for some strange reason the little one kept screaming on the streets of Cambridge !!

I leave you an image of the Great Court in Trinity College, where the film Chariots of Fire was filmed.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh poor little one!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, yes poor little one. But what about Oxford?

Anonymous said...

I guess your little one sensed the pressure she was under!! I am a lurker and have been reading your blog for sometime. But I had to delurk today and comment as I find your mothers attitude very refreshing. I wish my mother had the same atitude. My 17 year old daughter has decided to apply to Cambridge to study natural sciences instead of medicine -last minute change of heart .This has caused great distress to my mother who reminds me at every phone call that I am letting my daughter waste her talents and her future !!!

Jyoti

Anonymous said...

As someone who went there-it can also be a cold, lonely, insular and depressing place. And doing a phd there can even more isolating. But I don't mean to put a damper on your expectations-it is lovely!
-u

Anonymous said...

As an antidote to the previous comment - both M and I studied for our PhDs in Oxford and had a great time! Of course, we were there as postgraduates and were in the company of people who had lived all over the world before returning as students so life was far more interesting and outward-focussed than it could have been.

By the way Silent, you should defintely see A Disappearing Number at the Barbica - all about Srinivasa Ramanujan. It's on now.

PS: M's away. You'll see me commenting alot more until he returns ;-)

timepass said...

Cambridge and Oxford were on the top of must-see places for me too. I had a nice time visiting both places. I wanted to atleast see the two places since I did not get a chance to study there.

Anonymous said...

SS, I've just tagged you with a What's In My Fridge meme!

Silent One said...

@ Southways, PH - its just wishful thinking, really. I would never pressurise her in any way.
@ Planethalder - Cambridge is closer to where we live, so Cambridge it is :). Your Oford experience sounds like a lot of fun.

@ Jyoti - Thanks for delurking. yes my mother is pretty cool. Hope your mother comes to peace with your daughter's decision.

@ Anon1 - Thanks for your point of view. I dont think i will even voice my opinion on this to my daughter - its just expectations in my head.

@ timepass - was on my list of places to see too as soon as I moved here. Loved both cities.

Anonymous said...

Didn't mean tos ound depressing-I just up there-it was me by the way. Just felt very cold in Cambridge and the greyness always gets me-even in London!