Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, 11 November 2007

Second Child Dilema...

Broaching this senstive topic to Calculus is proving to be so hard for me. I know what his thoughts on the subject are, which are very different to mine. But I know, above everything else that this has to be something which both of us want and that there are no in-betweens.

I have been pretty clear from the start that if I have children, then I want more than one. I have not been overtly maternal - its not that I dont like children. I love kids, but did not want any of my own when I got married. I was perfectly happy to lead a life without any and in our conversations before we got married, we had both agreed that having children would not be a big priority for us. However, after 7 years of married life, my maternal instincts blossomed and I wanted a child at that very moment. I am not entirely sure what brought about that change, or if anything triggered my feelings to alter but change it did. Calculus was rather surprised by my transformation, but to his credit he was very supportive with my choice. We were very fortunate to discover that I was pregnant, very soon after we decided to have a child.The pregnancy went along well, we have a beautiful daughter who is nearly 10 months old and is good as gold.

Now I want another one. My reasons are many - I have thoroughly enjoyed motherhood. This of course, is a large part because of the little one. Even though I should probably call it quits when I am ahead, my body craves another child. Also I have such a fulfilling, close and wonderful relationship with my siblings that I want that for my daughter too. In these days of small, nuclear families, siblings are all the more important. She does not have many cousins either - just a brother from my side of the family, who is 16 years older than her and nearly from a different generation. Not to mention the fact that he lives in India, which makes it difficult to begin with for them to form a bond. Things might have been different, had we been in India, even though the age gap would still be a factor.

Calculus has just one brother, whom he is not close to at all. His brother has one daughter, about 3 years older than ours. Yet I dont see them being close at all, mainly because we dont meet them. They stay on the other side of the pond and the chances of us meeting often seem very remote. That means she will not have any cousins whom she will be close to, from Calculus's side of the family either. I worry a lot about how things will be for her once Calculus and I are not around. It would be so much nicer for her to have someone she pick up the phone (or even better meet) and share joyous news, or could be just the fact that she has somebody to whom she can moan about Calculus and my annoying ways, when she is a bit older. Close friends do fill that gap to some extent, but I would be much more at peace with myself if I know that she has a sibling whom she can be close to.

Calculus has never been close to his brother and his argument is what if our children turn out like them. I have no concrete response to that, of course one can never tell how things will turn out, but I am hopeful that with the right environment at home and our influence, our children will turn out to be close to each other. There are no guarantees in life, but this is a calculated risk I am more than willing to take.

All the online resources on the net suggest that I should NOT nag Calculus - something that I know already and hence am doing the next best thing - blog about it. Jokes apart, I am old already and am not doing myself any favours by waiting. We need to plan so that I can get the whole baby thing done soon. I dont have any illusions about how difficult things will be - specially because both our parents are old and so we cannot expect them to help us out again. But we are in London, fortunate enough to be in a city where we can get help. It is undoubtedly expensive, yet it is an extravagance which we now can afford.

In the past, we have spoken about adoption. But now that we have a child of our own, I am scared of this option. I am not entirely sure if I trust myself entirely to treat both children (adopted and the one of my own) equally. I have a friend who is in a similar position - she had a baby boy of her own. When her son was nearly 6 months old, her partner's brother's children were put up for fostering and subsequently adoption by her partner's brother. Both she and her partner did not want the children to lose contact with the other siblings as well as their family, so she and partner adopted one child and the partner's parents adopted two children. My friend finds it extremely hard to treat her adopted girl and her own son equally and I have seen her struggle through my own eyes. She is committed to change her attitude though and is working hard on it, yet the fact remains that treating the two children equally does not come naturally to her. There is always a feeling almost of over-compensating the adopted child, to ease off any guilt. Having seen her struggle through it, I am in two minds now. Its not as if to say that I will feel the same way, but the seeds of doubt have been sown in my mind.

So what do you 'only child' readers of mine think ? of course, others too are welcome to add their thoughts.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really grateful for my sister. We've always wished we didn't have such a big age gap between us.

I have friends who've had one child and adopted the other and I can put you in touch with them if you want somebody to talk to about this. Either way, do what you are comfortable with and good luck with convincing Calculus!

Choxbox said...

I have quite a few 'only child' friends who are amazing people, very balanced and easy to get along with. However most of them say they wish they had a sib. None of my friends with sibs have ever said they wish they didnt have them, whether or not they got along. That was my logic to convince my hubby!

BTW hope the fire hasnt affected you guys.

Premalatha said...

I have a younger brother. We are very close. Balan has three younger sisters but close to none of them.

I have so many cousins. The one I am very close (akka) to still lives in a town near our village. We both have totally different lives, and do not have anything in common. But we still enjoy the closeness, the bondage between us. But I do not share or discuss anything decision making or anything that is bothering me etc with her, as she may not understand what I am talking about.

I enjoy previleged closeness with my cousin brother (Anna), and have a previleged position in another chithappa's family. Balan enjoys the attention and the treatment he gets from them.

I believe sib is a must, obviously coming from my own life experience. There are cousins for my daughter too, they live in India too, and you are right and I think in the same lines too that they may not enjoy the bondage I enjoyed even with so many gaps and distances in several level with my cousins.

You are right about adoption too,
//There is always a feeling almost of over-compensating the adopted child, to ease off any guilt.//
is the real problem.

I really wish my big belly shows twins in some scan or delivers twins as a surprise present to me.

I do not know what I am going to do either. Balan would like to have a second child too after seeing my brother/cousins and the relationships I enjoy. But we do not know, as my age doesn't help a lot there.

Good luck with convincing Calculus.

Anonymous said...

I used to think, that if it was only T, i would have so much time to spend with him and teach him stuff and pay for all of his present classes and more, afford him the best education, etc, but then i look at all the three gurgling and giggling under the blanket and then i realize that one of the best things that i could possibly give him - is giving him his sisters. Many came to me and said, so glad your twins are of the same gender, cuz it is so much easier to be closer into the far life(and i can see that now) so i wish i had another son to give my T, but T has to settle for his two sisters, and sisters always have so much more maternal affection, so they will carry on after me.

Anonymous said...

I'm an only child and had no problems with it growing up at all - it was normal for me. I had a few good friends, I was sociable because my parents ensured I mixed with lots of people from early on, and I liked being alone too. I was very well-adjusted. It's only now as an adult that I wonder what it would be like with a sibling to share my love for but concerns over my parents. If I didn't have M I wonder how much "existential" loneliness I would actually feel - perhaps a fair bit...

Anonymous said...

I wanted to write about the same thing planethalder wrote about. I know two only sons, who are married and feel very lonely when they dont have anyone else to talk to - about their parents, share the same concern and joy about parents. Also parents will have more than one place to travel to, get a sense of joy when sibling and their families get together, etc.

Anonymous said...

Silent One, your post has inspired my new post!

Aditi's Album said...

Please go for it girl. I'm an only child and always have this feeling that I have none of my own to share lots of titbits with. Thankfully, I have some amazing cousins who are almost like sis and brother and they really keep me going. Also P's cousin's wife, here in the UK is the one I gel with very well. There are always friends and cousins, but nothing can match ones own sibling. Your daughter will thank you for this decision of yours and you'll never repent it.Take it from an only child - it helps to have another.

Anonymous said...

oh I really don't know what to say..I think your heart is big enough to love an adopted child should you decide to have one because that child will have no other mother but you, in that respect.
And I doubt the biogical kids would really care if the other's one adopted or not..they only want to be loved and treated with fairness.
I love reading your blog!!!
*hugs*

ps: come by my blog when ur free..nothing much to write as yet and I'm too lazy to put in details too.but I will in my holidays.
www.ilikemethisway.wordpress.com

~nm said...

I can read you completely. I had always wanted to have 2 children. No less no more. But lately looking at the very little involvement by Hubby and the son being such a brat (3.5 yrs young) I'm at a state when I feel I'm left with no patience. And rearing a child requires tonnes of it!

Maybe we will just take a plunge...maybe not! I'm at a crossroad too!

Choxbox said...

tagged.

the mad momma said...

nothing that you dont know. my brother and i are joined at the hip. and my kids light up when they see each other. that apart, i did a post on how my only child ex boyfriend finds it really hard to let anyone into his life now... all in all i think while only children are well adjusted - hell, all kids are resilient, they will adjust to whatever they are born to. ... but children with siblings learn to adjust with each other, share, accomodate and have that shared history and sense of community that singles may not. this is just in my experience.. all the best with whatever you decide...